Friday, August 16, 2019

Skills, Dawg

A group of students sit in a circle, listening the wisdom of a capoeira master.
Rutgers Capoeira students listen to Mestre Quebrinha during a workshop

Skills are frequently are lumped together.

It’s like…you have them or you don’t, as if they are a large singular entity that leads to success or failure. You have them, you succeed you don’t have them, you fail. All or nothing.
They aren’t broken up by the skill you do have, and the ones you don’t.

The simplicity of that mindset is easier to describe, but real success comes from the compilation of many different skills. I realized this running the business of my classes. Its eye opening when I started, coming to terms with the skills that I didn’t have. So many things need to get done, and I realize I don’t have the skills to complete them.

So I started working on them.

Best example is managing the social media and website of my classes. The first thing I noticed is the lack of pictures. I needed a camera, and I needed to learn how to take pictures. Two negative points on the health of my online presence, so I made the decision to get started, and the biggest way to get better at taking pictures, is to take pictures.

So take pictures I shall.



No comments:

Post a Comment